Available on CD & Digital Download (320kbps MP3).
Neck of the Woods is a compilation brought about from commissioned sound works at Kew Gardens. In the summer of 2011 Leslie Deere, Riz Maslen and Kaffe Matthews were commissioned for sound installations, which exhibited during the length of the Kew Summer Festival. The bespoke sound works were installed in Kew’s most iconic spaces including the Palm House and Redwood Forest.
Last year was the UN International Year of Forests. In honor of that, and the majesty of Kew, the idea of conducting site responsive field recordings was born. Most of these artists travelled to Kew, chose a location on the garden map and conducted one-take recordings responsive to the space. Nadine Richardson played Asian flute in the Bamboo Forest; Philip Granell improvised with violin in the Waterlily House. Other artists have conducted field recordings in alternative areas around London and abroad, offering a glimpse of varying outdoor locations and atmospheres.
This limited edition, handmade release is a celebration of field recordings, conducted in cherished places, hopefully capturing a memory and a whimsical moment in time.
- 01 – White Cat – 10Sui (7:21)
- 02 – Music Box – Leslie Deere (2:03)
- 03 – Soliloquy – Nadine Richardson (7:02)
- 04 – Flocking – Saskia Moore (3:55)
- 05 – The Lip of Chaos – Riz Maslen (12:40)
- 06 – Putting The Drum Down – Patrick Farmer (7:41)
- 07 – The Empty Pot Fills – Kaffe Matthews (9:40)
- 08 – awst 2011 – Angharad Davies (8:42)
- 09 – Marshes Reed – Dawn Scarfe (10:40)
- 10 – I Walked You Followed – Philip Granell (9:39)
PLAY AUDIO SAMPLES